Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Why I Can't Get Anything Done



When people make comments about us having five kids, it is usually something like this: "I don't know how you DO it!"Or "you must have your hands full". You know, all the cliche large family comments. This isn't a post about hating those comments, because really, I've gotten used to them.
It's about my answer. Usually my answer is something like, " it gets crazy, but it's not that bad actually" or "I don't have five toddlers thankfully, so having more independent older girls really helps me out".
And that's true. At least for certain seasons of my life (aka, right before I had Sadie), our routine was pretty predictable, and manageable. I would do all my mom duties, and the girls would do theirs. I still had to answer questions every 40 seconds and had to break up fights, but I could still do what I needed to do. It was even like that when Sadie was a little baby, because the girls could entertain her while I did things...or she would sit still in the carrier at least.
But all that has changed, once again. Now, if anyone makes one of the above comments, I have to try hard to hide my pleading eyes and whimper "yes, my hands are full...help me."
I forgot what it was like. When I say "forgot" I mean lied to myself about what toddlers are like. It was easy to do, since Danica hadn't been a toddler for a year or so. I told myself, it's really not that bad, and it goes by so fast anyways.
All of that is true, and I feel I must disclaimer this by saying that I LOVE Sadie with all my heart and we are having so much fun with her.
BUT
The girl NEVER stops moving! It's like she took all that energy she conserved by being a fairly calm baby and whipped it all out at once into a tornado of baby! The worst part is, she's not even technically a toddler yet! I would sit there with my head in my hands whining "I thought I had more time!" Except that I have no hands to rest my head on....because she is always in them! Now you might be saying, "now wait. If she never stops moving, how is she always in your arms?"
I'm sure I don't have to explain that to many of my fellow moms, but believe me, it's possible. Imagine having 5 pounds of that cornstarch goo.... You know, the stuff that is solid when you squeeze it, but liquid when you open your hands? Yeah, imagine you have 5 pounds of it in your arms and you can't let a drip of it fall to the floor. That is what it's like to hold Sadie lately. My reflexes have to be on, always.
Just set her down, you say? That seems like the easy answer, since she is walking now and can get around to entertain herself....except that this kid is OBSESSED with me. A month ago, I could send her off to play with her sisters and she would be so happy. Now she's in a phase that's like the game "let go of mom's leg and you will die". Oh, that's not a real game?
Tell that to Sadie.
It's partly frustrating because I can't move at all with her holding onto me, and partly guilt inducing because just when I think she's gone and I shift my weight backwards to take a step, I knock her over. Sorry Sadie.
I can't do anything around the house that requires two hands while she's awake. If i thought it took a long time to get the laundry folded before, now I just helplessly stare at it for days, hoping it just finds it's own way to the drawers! it's especially bad now that we are on vacation, too, because she's not napping well unless I'm holding her.
I'd write more, but I'm using valuable " Sadie sleeping" minutes to write this. Sadie, I love you, but please don't be in this stage much longer. Pretty please? I'll put a cherry on top!
(That's how Danica asks me questions, and it's so sweet, it's hard to say no too!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10