Friday, September 07, 2012

Top 6 Reasons I Run



not a photo of me...but I came up with the saying. I think of it every time I step out the door!

I'm not super woman, super mom, or a super model, and I will never try to be. I do however, LOVE the feeling of knowing that I am doing something good for my body and am setting an example of a healthy life for my girls.
Also, important to note, I am not super scheduled with it....I'm not like, "I run 10 km 4-5 times a week, without fail."

Some weeks I run more often, some weeks I run further, but some weeks I run once. And then sit on my butt for the rest of the week LOL. I always feel better when I am for a few times a week though! And I have a few friends who run as well...and when I see their status updates or talk to them on the phone, it's always so inspiring. You keep me going, friends!

"To lose the baby weight" would be the expected answer, I presume. While it definitely is one of the top five reasons, there are a few more:

1. Because I can.
          When I was young, my pastors wife gave me a book to read that I never forgot. It was the story of Joni Earickson. If you have never heard of her, you can get acquainted here. When she was a teenager, she was at a lake goofing around with friends, dove off a dock into water that was more shallow then she expected, and was paralyzed from the neck down.
One minute she was an active teenager, and then it was over. I remember reading about how she would watch the people around her walking, running, jumping, and wish with her whole heart that she could join them just once more. I didn't make a formal vow or anything, but I remember thinking that as long as I have a whole, healthy body, that I would not waste it.
God created us nothing short of amazingly, and our bodies are capable of so much! Yes, exercise can seem so tedious, but God meant for us to enjoy being able to use the body he gave us, and I have found out first hand how wonderful it is to find something active that you actually enjoy!
So, for all of the people that have experienced misfortune when it comes to their physical self..for those who are paralyzed, have back problems, foot problems, or anything else that keeps them from using the parts of their bodies that they wish they could, I don't want to take for granted the fact that I can.
For that reason, I will run; and I will teach my children the best I can to lead n active lifestyle.

2. To lose the baby weight.
            Yup, it's in here! I have four perfect daughters. I loved carrying them inside, and I love the joy that they bring me each and every day, and I am so proud of my body for all that it did to bring them into the world and nourish them once they were here. Talk about another amazing way God created us, hey?!
However, I am still carrying 25 extra pounds and some extra wrinkly belly skin that frankly, I just don't need any more.
And if running is going to help that,  bring it!

3. The stress relief.
            I don't want that to sound like an "I'm so stressed all the time and if I don't run I might kill someone" kind of thing. This is more what I mean:
After a full day of being with children, listening to questions pelted at me all day, listening to Diego and leap frog movies, making meals, doing laundry, and cleaning any number of bodily fluids off my floor, some me time is appreciated.
Within a few minutes I go from that (see above), to a runner. I run out the door, and just GO. I can crank up my guilty pleasure music without worrying about scarring my kids with Kesha lyrics, I can go as fast or slow as I want, feel the cool air, and not care what anyone thinks. It's just awesome. I totally get the "runner's high", and I think I like it :)


I saw this right before I started running on a regular basis. It comes to mind almost every time I step out the door!



4. The convenience.
          I live 15 minutes out of town, and to make a commitment to a class or gym is pretty much futile. There will always be a reason I can't go, and though I might keep it up for a week, or even a month, the staying power just isn't there.
With running, I grab my shoes, my iPhone, open the door, and start running. There's so little planning involved that I pretty much have no excuse! Also, I can run for 45 minutes to an hour down our gravel road and not see a single other person, no pressure and a nice window of ME time!

5. The competition
         I have only ever competed in one race against other people, but I loved it. As with most things, running leaves lots of room for change and improvement, so there's always something more to train for, to strive for.
Aaaaand, even if I never compete in another race, I like pushing myself to do better anyway. Haha, that kind of makes me feel like Monica on Friends: "It will be like I'm in a competition with....me! In your face last year's me!"

6. I like food.
         I SO wish that I would have bought the water bottle at Lulu Lemon when I saw it. You know, the one that says, "I run because I really really really like dessert"? Yeah, that's me.
Since I started running, my body has changed some, but I haven't lost as much weight as I could have by now. In fact, it seems to kind of be staying put. I realize that as much as I can discipline myself to keep running and stay active, I have a hard time saying no to food that my body doesn't really need. I'm making changes, and one day I'll have eating habits that I'm proud of, but as of right now, I am in "progress" mode for sure!


And even though this photo pretty much goes against everything I just said in this post, I find it hilarious, so I'm sharing it with you :D

Have a great night!




7 comments:

  1. Great post!
    And I love competing with myself - the best way to compete if you ask me. Love your #1 reason too.
    Did you ever see my running post? http://angelafehr.com/wordpress/2012/06/24/11-encouraging-fitness-tips-for-art-geeks/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, but I'm going to check it out right now!

      Delete
  2. Love this, Aren't races awesome? I always run faster in them!

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! Love also the Pictures and Quotes! running help to feel free :)
    i´m a new Follower

    Lovely Greetings from Austria ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! My sister is travelling across Europe right now and will be visiting your country soon :D

      Delete
  4. Great post! I'm on week 5 of couch 2 5k and I hate running. Well I used to hate it. Now I get it! And I love what you wrote on that picture you opened with, awesome! You need to get that on t shirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea :) I could use them when I start my own race in my town...the "mommy 10k" or something!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10